Select Page
Villages

Alacon

Data

Demonym: Alaconés, alaconero
Inhabitants: in 1900, 894 hab. / in 1950, 1,038 hab. / in 1995, 509 hab. / in 2019, 252 hab.
Altitude: 698 m

Routes from the village

Services

Accommodations
Q

Accommodations

RURAL ACCOMMODATION

Swimming pool bar – C/ Abrevadero, s/n
978 818435
Opening: All year round.
Capacity: From 22 to 28 people – 2 double rooms (one of them with bathroom and double bed), the rest in bunk beds.
Equipment: Fully equipped bathrooms, central heating and hot water, bunk beds with or without sheets, living-dining room.

ALBANA HOUSE

C/ San Miguel 2-A
646726563
Type: Rural tourism housing
Capacity: 1-10 persons. Full rental
Equipment: Living room, fireplace, heating, washing machine, television and DVD or video, kitchen, outdoor barbecue.
Web: http://www.casaalbana.com

The village

Alacón is located on a high and outstanding hill observable from a wide area around the valley of the Martín river, showing itself as an outstanding viewpoint between the foothills of the Arcos mountain range and practically at the confluence of the Muela and Mortero ravines. Between both ravines, taking advantage of a spring that gives rise to a pond, was built the hermitage of San Miguel , which was renovated in the seventeenth century, and the traditional washing places that are fed by this water.

Drilling the headland on which this town sits and on its north side, there are more than 300 cellars excavated in the rock, adopting a terraced shape according to the contour lines, trying to neutralize the steep slope. Cool in summer and temperate in winter, the famous Alacón wine, made according to the traditional canons of the region, is aged and preserved in its interior.

In the Middle Ages, Alacón was an independent lordship between the territories of the Mitra of Zaragoza -Albalate del Arzobispo, Alloza and Ariño to the east-, and the Honor of Huesa del Común, linked to the Crown, to the west. The account of the Lords of Alacón begins, according to Castillo Genzor, with the Commanders of Montalbán of the Order of Santiago, to pass into the hands of the Crown from the reign of Alfonso II, being replaced in 1499 by the Bardaxí, who will assume the rectory of the Villa until the XIX century.

The evolutionary stages of the urban center, characterized by masonry buildings that reflect the use of the rich quarries of Alacón since the origins of the town, configure three sectors according to the urban fabric:

1.- At the top of the hill we can still identify the evidence of the old walled enclosure according to the constructive remains that are observed and that popularly the neighbors of the locality still call the neighborhood of the Villa.

In this area there is a wall arch being the only access door to the enclosure. This is a semicircular ashlar arch with no added decoration. Next to it is located the old oven of the Council, whose entrance arch is also semicircular and made of masonry and ashlar. Also attached to the arch, is located the town hall that leads to an irregular square, in which was located the old town hall building now recovered and adapted for use as a Paleontology Interpretation Center of the Cultural Park.

The church of Ntra. Mrs. of the Assumption is located at the highest point of this neighborhood, where there is a beautiful viewpoint from which you can see the traditional tamped earth threshing floors, the orchard, the ravine of La Muela and the rocky cinglera of the Felio hill where there are numerous shelters with cave paintings. The church is of baroque construction from the second half of the eighteenth century and in 1999 a general restoration was completed, offering today a beautiful temple of which highlights the main facade made of brick and the bell tower absent of tower, given its privileged and elevated location, which singles it out in the region.

To the east we find, on another elevation, a semi-ruined medieval tower that is popularly known as “the Old Tower” and that was part of the defensive enclosure limiting the flank of the wall, still preserving the vaults that divided it horizontally. Practically united to the tower, the Santo Sepulcro hermitage and the calvary are located and annexed the building that was the old oil mill , now a museum. Narrow alleys run through this neighborhood that connects to the wineries.

2.- The second sector of the urban fabric is formed by the hamlet that grew on the hillside facing south and the sunny side, overcoming the fortified enclosure due to the expansion and growth of the population, preserving the medieval layout that configures four parallel and radio-concentric streets around the castle district, arranged according to the contour lines, thus softening the ascent to the old town and linked by broken alleys.

3.- The third expansion is the most regular and modern expansion that grew, in the lower part of the slope, starting from the Planillo square and Replegador squareThe land is characterized by a lower slope and plastered buildings hiding the masonry and losing its traditional flavor, as well as others of new construction.

Esta web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su correcto funcionamiento y para fines analíticos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, acepta el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos. Configurar y más información
Privacidad