Select Page
Villages

Oliete

Data

Old name: Ildulgoite (?) – Iologum -Olivetum
Demonym: Olietano
Inhabitants: in 1910, 2,535 hab. / in 1950, 1,879 hab. / in 1995, 540 hab. / in 2019, 351 hab.
Altitude: 543 m

Routes from the village

Services

Accommodations
Q

Accommodations

HOUSE “EL HUERTO DEL TRUCHO”.

978 813032 / 619 446601
Owner: José.
Modality: Non-shared accommodation.
Capacity: 12 beds in 3 apartments (8 rooms).
Equipment: washing machine, fireplace, television, refrigerator.

RURAL TOURISM HOUSE “CASA ARACELI”.

C/ Mayor, 51
978 818393
Owner: Araceli.
Modality: Shared accommodation.
Capacity: 8 people, double rooms.
Equipment: washing machine, fireplace, television, central heating, refrigerator.
Services: kitchen facilities, breakfast, pets allowed.

Pharmacy
Q

Pharmacy

GINER FERRANDO PHARMACY

C/ Carretera, 34
978 818727

The village

Oliete is located on a steep hill, on the northern slope of the Sancho Abarca mountain range, on the right bank of the Martín river, which gives its streets a steep slope.

In the 13th century Oliete appears in the hands of the Alagón family. In 1297, after a period in which it belonged to the Crown, Oliete was donated by King Jaime II to his squire D. Raimundo de Cardona. In 1333 the Sesse, Don Juan Galindez de Sesse, acquired the Lordship, along with Alcaine and other places in the area. From the 15th century onwards, the place is associated with the Bardaxí family, as well as Alcaine, Obón and Alacón. The family links of this family connect the locality with the Bermúdez de Castro (XVIII century) and the Rebolledo de Palafox family until the XVIII century (XVIII century). XIX.

Its location, controlling access through the Martín River Valley towards the interior, and guarding the passage of the Martín Strait, is a Foradada Cavewhere a reservoir The cave was built at the beginning of the 20th century and adopted the name of the cave, which allowed it to become a fortified point of which some scarce remains of the old mortar wall are still preserved camouflaged among constructions and buildings.

This privileged location was already taken into account in the Iberian period, in view of the numerous settlements that have been found, which already show the need for fortification and control of the valley. The Iberian Culture Interpretation Center of the Cultural Park is located in the old schools.

Of this fortified enclosure of the locality, the three most important are the three access portals on which they were built at the end of the XVII century or beginning of the XVIII century, like most of the religious buildings of the locality and following the traditional canons of the region, three open chapels: that of Santa Barbara to the west, that of the Pilar to the north-center and that of the Santos Mártires (San Fabián and San Sebastián) to the east.

The urban fabric is articulated around three main axes: the lower street, along the inner edge of the walled line and following the main irrigation channel of the town whose origin should be sought in the Muslim period of irrigation of these lands, and that runs along the three arches of access to the enclosure and their respective chapels, presenting remarkable facades along the way, unique baroque eaves and Aragonese galleries.

The second and main axis is formed by the cobblestone Main Street of great urban quality, which, like the previous one, starts at the easternmost gate and extends, following the contour of the hill and thus softening the slope, to the square that adopts the name of the The church of the Assumption of Our Lady dates back to the end of the 19th century. XVII, and of which stands out, a unique bell tower of Mudejar tradition made of brick of the Sg. XVIII. In this square we find the most remarkable ancestral building of the urban center, a renaissance mansion (16th century) known as “La casa de la Donjuana“It has a beautiful semicircular doorway with a coat of arms on the portal and an elongated gallery of semicircular arches over a decorated frieze.

The third axis is formed by the streets of the upper part of the town, known as the wall, and where we find the hermitage of San Bartolomé, which lately is related to the old synagogue for being located closing the area of the old Jewish quarter.

A series of narrow streets with calluses and steeply sloping covered passageways cut the axes described above, going up the steps on which the urban fabric was built on the hill. The steepest side is the western side, where the houses lean against a steep rocky cliff facing the river and the orchard and where many wineries were located, whose area is called transcastillo, where the most popular buildings are swirling, giving an oval shape to the population. This forced the growth of the urban structure to take place in the eastern sector, where the neighborhood outside the walls is known as “arrabal” of ar-rabad, the suburban neighborhood.

Outside the town center there are two hermitages: the Santo Sepulcro -calvary-, from which there is a beautiful view of the town and the Martín river valley, and the hermitage of the Virgen del Cantal next to a fountain and flanked by centennial olive trees and cypresses.

Esta web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su correcto funcionamiento y para fines analíticos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, acepta el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos. Configurar y más información
Privacidad