Select Page
Villages

Obon

Data

Demonym: Obonero
Inhabitants: in 1900, 1,202 hab. / in 1950, 923 hab. / in 1995, 61 hab. / in 2019, 44 hab.
Altitude: 680 m

Routes from the village

Services

Accommodations
Q

Accommodations

OBÓN HOSTEL “LA MARISICA”.

C/ Huerta del Molino, S/N
978 956 000 / 635 569 142
Management: Rubén Martín
Opening: All year round.
Number of seats: 25
3 rooms: one double room, one 9-bed room and one 14-bed room
Bar service: from 4 to 9 p.m.
Equipment: kitchen, dining room, barbecue
Contact: info@alberguemunicipaldeobon.es
Web: http://www.alberguemunicipaldeobon.es/

The village

Obón sits on a suntrap at the foot of which the Cabra River, or Torre River as it is popularly known, pours its waters into the Martín River, whose canyons and steep cliffs are especially attractive in this area and which, as in Alcaine, attracted the attention of prehistoric hunter-gatherers, who found protection and good hunting grounds in its innumerable nooks and shelters, leaving as samples several shelters with cave paintings that made the area sacred.

The town was built in a space of stepped and semillano land, which gives its streets gentle slopes of the slope that runs along the left bank of the Martín river. This made it necessary to build a powerful stone wall -which is what will first attract the visitor’s attention- to consolidate the terraces on which the town sits and to support access to it from the valley. These two terraced spaces are separated by a watercourse through which today runs the main axis of the town. On the terrace on the left bank of this watercourse, the most important buildings were built, such as the city council -which still preserves the marketplace with two semicircular arches-, and the most popular mansions and manor houses, as well as the Assumption of Our Lady parish church (XVII Century) located at one end of the terrace over the Santa María ravine.

The information system of the Aragonese Cultural Heritage describes the baroque construction of this temple as masonry, with three naves, the central one with groin and half-barrel and the lateral ones of half-barrel with lunettes. It also has a transept with dome and lantern. The roofs are decorated with interesting geometric stuccoes, typical of Mannerism, while the intrados of the dome shows cherubim heads and musical angels.

María Jesús Berraondo Urdampilleta, who has studied the church, also mentions the existence of some capitals, perhaps dating back to the 15th century. XIII from an ancient Romanesque temple, embedded in the apse. The ornamental sgraffito on the entrance portico is striking as soon as one arrives at the church. The most outstanding feature is a square brick tower attached to the church. Its structure for many specialists comparable to a minaret, has pointed openings, currently blinded, bringing its dating to the late fifteenth century. It could be said, therefore, that this is one of the few examples of a Mudejar tower in this part of the province of Teruel. Recently the tower has been restored, which gives it a whitish color.

All this leads us to think that the old town or original population must have been located in this area, where, camouflaged by later constructions, there is a medieval tower “el torretónThe remains are associated with an ancient castle from the XIV century, although its existence is known since the XII century, and that Jaime I donated to Pelegrín de Atrossillo in 1247. It would eventually pass into the hands of the Bardaxí family. This tower was a jail and dovecote. The walls are strong masonry and semicircular voussoir door. The adjoining terrace will be shown to us as a later urban expansion as a result of population growth.

Other terraces on the mountainside and on the outskirts of the town, were home to the traditional districts of threshing floors and haystacks, now abandoned or modified in use, which give the town a very traditional air. Under the wall and very close to the river we find the traditional cave wash houses of the town, which take advantage of the water captured in a dam upstream of the Martín river and that by means of a canalization along the left bank of the river is transported to the wash houses.

The hermitage of the Holy Sepulchre is located at the top of the same slope that is accessed through the Calvary, which communicates with the population, which highlights the peirones or stations of the Stations of the Cross. This hermitage has a single nave with a semicircular arch as access.

Another highlight of Obón, along with its rugged landscape, is the San Miguel hermitage, approximately 4 kilometers from the town following the local road, which ends in Obón. It is built in masonry and from its high location there is a beautiful panoramic view.

Esta web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su correcto funcionamiento y para fines analíticos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, acepta el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos. Configurar y más información
Privacidad